|Subject Leader History||Miss N Hawkey|
|History Teachers||Mrs J Elliott
Mrs J Stevens
Mr P Wenham
The History department at Knole Academy provides an education which looks at issues on a local, national and international stage and encourages the students to look at their own views and understand the views of others.
We endeavour to provide all students with the opportunity to gain a meaningful understanding of the past, which is relevant to their own experiences. We also encourage a mature appreciation of the present world in the light of the successes and mistakes of the past. We want our History students at Knole Academy to become citizens in a global society with a well-rounded education of the past.
There are many trips linked with our programmes of study which allow the students to further explore the issues discussed in class. The skills learnt in and outside the classroom will enable each student to grow into well-informed citizens, allowing them to excel in future careers.
Key stage 3
Students study topics that span from Medieval England to the Twentieth century world, allowing them to appreciate the influence that the past has had on the world that they are living in.
Lesson activities vary but could include: video clips, role-play, group and individual projects, debates and essays.
- Historical skills
- The Anglo-Saxon world through to the Norman Conquest
- Medieval life
- Tudor England
- English Civil War and the Restoration
- Project based learning (consolidation of skills)
- Slavery and Empire
- Industrial Britain
- Social protest in the 18th and 19th Century
- The conflict of the First World War
- The conflict of the Second World War
- The Holocaust
Key Stage 4
History is a very popular choice at GCSE. We follow the Edexcel 2016 specification. This subject is assessed through 100% examination of the three units (see below).
Paper 1 - Medicine in Britain. c1250 - present, plus the British sector of the Western Front, 1914 - 18: surgery and treatment. (1 hour 15mins).
Paper 2 - Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941 - 91, plus Henry VIII and his ministers, 1509 – 40 (1 hour 45 mins).
Paper 3 - Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918 – 39 (1 hour 20 mins).
What texts would you recommend?
1) “Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Revision Guide and Workbook”.
- a. Medicine in Britain
- b. Weimar and Nazi Germany
- c. Superpower relations and the Cold War
- d. Henry VIII
2) “Target grade (Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History”.
- a. Grade 9 is available for Medicine and the Western Front, Weimar and Nazi Germany and Superpower relations and the Cold War.
- b. Grade 5 is available for Medicine and the Western Front, Weimar and Nazi Germany and Superpower relations and the Cold War.
What websites would you recommend?
BBC Bitesize: https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/examspecs/zw4bv4j
Youtube BBC teach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVJV8iEAm88&list=PLcvEcrsF_9zJ8AqMTFZycm46Ks4DdSaLM
Youtube Simple History (not all relevant): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC510QYlOlKNyhy_zdQxnGYw
Enrichment and extra-curricular
Key stage 3
- Canterbury Cathedral
- Battle Abbey (joint with Maths dept.)
- Bletchley Park (joint with ICT dept.)
Key stage 4
- Battlefields trip: Ypres and the Somme
- Hampton Court