|Subject Leader Music||Miss A Sanders|
Mr T Lawrie
Brass (Trumpet, Trombone, Cornet and Piano) - Mr Dennis - email@example.com
The Music department at Knole Academy provides an education that encompasses the main three strands of music education; performing, composing and listening/appraising. The topics covered at KS3 allow students to develop their musical understanding and skills, which allows them to build on this at KS4 for Music GCSE.
We endeavour to provide all students with the opportunity to perform both in class and at concerts throughout the year. We also encourage students to learn an instrument and take part in the many musical opportunities offered at Knole Academy.
The department runs trips and extra-curricular clubs and activities linked with our programmes of study which allow the students to either watch or take part in musical activities linked to the topics covered in class. It is important for students to have a practical link to music theory topics covered in class. The skills learnt in and outside of the classroom aim to create well rounded and competent musicians by the time students have completed their studies.
Key Stage 3
- Elements of music & singing skills
- Keyboard skills & treble clef notation
- Rhythm & rhythm notation
- Instruments of the orchestra
- Major & minor
- Cartoon music
- Ground bass & bass clef notation
- The Blues
- African music
- Film music
- Dorian mode Composing
- Popular songs
Key Stage 4
Music is a popular choice at GCSE. We follow the Edexcel 2016 specification (9-1). This subject is assessed through coursework and an examination, on the three units listed below.
Unit 1: Performing Music
Unit 2: Composing Music
Unit 3: Listening & Appraising
What texts would you recommend?
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Anthology of Music Edexcel GCSE Music 2016 (Pearson)
- Edexcel GCSE Music Revision Guide (Rhinegold)
- Edexcel GCSE Music Study Guide (Rhinegold)
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Music Student Book Edexcel GCSE Music 2016 (Pearson)
What websites would you recommend?
- BBC Bitesize
Enrichment and extra-curricular
- Orchestra- Wednesday Lunchtime in P2
- Minstrels Choir- Wednesday Tutor Time in the Recital Room
- Chamber Choir- Thursday Lunchtime in P2
- Band Rehearsals- Lunchtimes in Practice Rooms
- Woodwind Group- Thursday Lunchtimes in the Recital Room
- GCSE Revision Club- Friday Lunchtimes in P1