Sports / PE Studies

Back
Choose a Subject

Sports/PE Studies Department

  Name
Subject Leader Sports/PE Studies Mrs R Laker
Sport/PE Studies Teachers

Miss C Hurley
Mr J Lloyd
Mr J Major
Mr R Turner
Mr T White
Ms L Chenu

Physical Education helps students to develop the skills, knowledge, and competencies to live healthy and physically active lives at school and beyond. The Physical Education department at Knole Academy are fully committed to the all-round development of each student and the extensive curriculum we offer reflects this passion.

We encourage the positive values of determination and resilience throughout all our key stages and students within our department feel safe and confident to participate and perform. Our curriculum provides students with the opportunity to participate in a wide range of activities and experience different teaching methods in order to develop physically, mentally and emotionally.

 Students are encouraged to work individually and as part of a team which helps build trust, problem solving and communication skills. Competition is a huge part of the sporting environment and life in general and whilst we encourage competition and the competitive spirit we also promote the ideals of fair play and sportsmanship. Through our curriculum we hope students build the confidence and interest to get involved in exercise, sports and activities out of school and later in life.

Knole Academy boasts outstanding sporting facilities which allows us to offer a broad range of activities. These include a fitness suite, a fully equipped sports hall, a MUGA, an all-weather artificial pitch (3G), climbing wall and grassed playing fields.

Throughout the year students will experience a wide range of activities that will be taught on a rotation. These activities include, gymnastics, badminton, table tennis, trampolining, basketball, football, handball, rugby, netball, hockey, health related fitness, OAA, rock climbing, athletics, cricket, tennis and softball.

 All students are encouraged to perform, lead, coach and umpire in the range of activities and all these areas are continually assessed, tracked and monitored to ensure progress is being made. Students are mainly taught in single sex and ability groups during this key stage.

 

How can I help my child through KS3 & KS4 physical education?

  • Encourage participation in lessons and extra-curricular activities.
  • Ensure their kit is clean and ready for the lesson and is fully named/labelled.
  • Ensure students have appropriate kit available during the winter months.

How will my child be assessed at KS3?

Students are assessed throughout each activity and an average level is recorded each data cycle from a variety of sports covered.

Students will learn:

  • New skills through participating in a broad range of activities.
  • How to lead activities and take on the role of an official
  • Different tactics and strategies that can improve play and performances.
  • How to work as part of a team
  • How to work safely in the PE environment
  • Sportsmanship and fair play
  • Resilience and determination
  • How to lead a healthy and active lifestyle

Key Stage 4

Key Stage 4 - Sports Science

Exam Board-OCR

Cambridge National Certificate in Sport Science  (equivalent to 1 GCSE) Level1/2

HOW IS THE COURSE ASSESSED?

75% of the overall mark is awarded via internal and external moderation of coursework. 25% is awarded via an externally assessed exam.

Breakdown

75% of the overall mark is awarded via assignments which are internally and externally assessed. The other 25% is awarded through a compulsory exam- Reducing the risk of injuries which is set externally.

Please refer to the OCR website for further information

https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/cambridge-nationals/sport-science-level-1-2-j802-j812/

What is covered on the course?

Coursework

75% of the final mark

 

Written Exam

25% of the final mark
1 hour examination (60 marks)

Applying the principles of training

Reducing the risk of injuries

Technology in sport

 

Body responses to physical activity

 

WHAT WEBSITES WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

https://www.hire-intelligence.co.uk/evolution-of-technology-in-sport/

www.brianmac.co.uk

www.teachpe.com

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/category/sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

Key Stage 5

KS5 PE
(LAST EXAMINATION 2021)

 

KS5 PE
(course running From September 2020)

Cambridge technical certificate in Sport & Physical activity

Please refer to the Post 16 Course Directory 2020-22 for KS5 information by clicking here.

House Sporting Events

At Knole Academy we have a very strong and competitive house system which our inter-house and annual sports days are integral. These events give all students the opportunity to rake part in sporting activities supporting their houses.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

×